Re: Electrical Properties of Brass

Hi Mark,

At 11:57 AM 4/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>However, it is still difficult to make a good electrical connection with
>the aluminum, since oxidation occurs in minutes.  Connections have to be
>made air tight to prevent the oxidation process, which probably already
>started before the connection was made air tight (work in an argon-rich
>atmosphere, perhaps?).

In our case, the voltage is so high that it will blow through any
resistance caused by connection oxidation.  But it is still a good idea to
clean up any aluminum connection with sandpaper first and make sure the
connections are airtight.  They sell a grease for this purpose at
electrical supply places.

>So I, too, would agree with Terry's recomendation against using it.
>
>Once you've optimized your TC, you could coat a copper primary with a very
>thin layer of polyurethane.  Then just scrape away the PU at the tap
>point. This doesn't make future modifications/tweaks too easy, though.

I think painting it with clear poly is a great idea. Probably much easier
than other alternatives.  Clamps and such may oxidize at the scratches if
one moves them around but that will be a problem anyway.  Another
alternative may be to spend another $12 and just replace the primary copper
if it gets too bad.