Coil winders - Was: Re: water as spark gap dielectric

Hi Darkstarcat,

I don't think anyone sells Tesla coil winders ;-)  Some people use wood
lathes but that must take skill.

But here is a simple cheap proven winder:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-22-04.jpg

Just some wood, all thread rod, and some nuts and bolts.  I use a variable
speed drill I run from a variac.  But just the drill set and locked on a
low speed works too.  It is nice to have an extra switch so you can turn it
on and off easily, like a power strip with a switch.  About $15 of stuff
there if you buy it new.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-22-05.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-22-06.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-23-03.jpg

As you wind the coil, occasionally put masking tape on the coil to hold the
windings incase something comes loose or you want to rest.  Masking tape
has many uses here.

Try to wind the coil fairly tight.

Cheers,

         Terry