Re: water as spark gap dielectric

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Jim,

Interesting article! BTW, those who are interested can view a copy at:
http://www.eece.unm.edu/cp3/Publications/Shu.pdf

An external spark gap is still necessary to isolate the water gap while
energy is being replenished in the energy storage element. For TC use, this
means that we can't dispense with the air gap in series with the water gap,
so instantaneous gap losses will be higher. However, if the water gap
provides superior quenching ability, the additional gap losses may still be
worth it if we can achieve "one notch" quenching at high coupling coefficients.

The water gap recovery curves don't look very promising for single P-S
energy transfers. The recovery chart for reasonable bang sizes (Figure 9 in
the paper) implies that the gap will only recover ~5% of its standoff
capability after ~250 uSec pretty much independent of power level. If we
use a relatively low frequency TC (say, 50 kHz with a coupling coefficient
of 0.22), the time to the first notch is ~2.5 cycles, or ~50 uSec. This
implies relatively poor quenching...

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!