RE: Transformer for Sale? POTENTIAL TRANSFORMER

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I am just running the spool of wire in series with the "hot" 120VAC input to
my potential transformer.
Both myself and Terry Blake do this.  The ballast does get warm, but not too
hot.  If you were to run your
coil at more than 15 minutes continuously, then it might not be a good
ballast, but for short runs (which i think is
typical) it works fine.

I don't have a picture available, but here is a link to Terry Blake's
website with a picture of his "poor man's ballast."

http://tb3.phpwebhosting-dot-com/tesla/mrun/P9050002.jpg

I'd save myself the trouble and forget about winding your own ballast.  Be
much easier to just buy the $10.00 roll and be
done with it.  The standard 500ft roll is already calibrated to ballast at
current at about 24-26A which is the optimal power input for these potential
transformers.

The Captain