Re: HV MMCs was Re: Magnifier conversion

The helical arrangement of resistors is very similar to that recommended in
Craggs and Meek for precision HV resistors composed of many Manganin
wirewounds in series. It's also a nice compact way to arrange the resistors
that has the side effect of creating a very even electric field
distribution up the column. Obviously, there is some inductance there, but
in something like this, you're probably not overly concerned.

For a series string of C, you might want to check and make sure that you're
not going to wind up with an unexpected resonance.  You could do a back and
forth winding  pattern (one turn CW one turn CCW, etc.), or even just run a
wire around, to kill the inductive component.