Re: fire hydrant rf ground?

Hi Adam,

At 03:10 PM 4/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Do fire hydrants make good rf grouds for tesla coil use?

I can't imagine anything much better!

>how would i go about hooking a wire up to the hydrant?

Some type of clamp.  Maybe a C-clamp.  Be sure not to hurt the hydrant or
attract attention of the authorities that might not see the beauty of the
setup ;-))

I would not go loosening any bolts on the hydrant.  You don't want to hurt
it in anyway.

You might have to scrap away 50 layers of paint to get a connection.  Paint
it back over when done.

>Are there special hydrants that work better than others (do they have salt
>water hydrants?)?

I think you have to use what you have there ;-))  Salt water would eat up a
metal hydrant.  I think they all use common city water.

Of course, a metal rod just pounded into the ground will work just fine too...

Cheers,

         Terry