Re: MOSFET Cooling

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Matthew and All,

I've never used these on big power semiconductor, but I'm sure it
would work. Might be a little difficult to mount...

One thing I HAVE used them for, is to heatsink the little 8PDIP gate
drive IC's MAX/TC4420 and MAX/TC4429. When arranged as a
double-H-bridge, you get an arrangement of four of these IC's that
are an inch or so apart from each other.

That's where you can put a bolt right in the middle of them, and
press a processor heatsink down on all 4 IC's. Each IC must be
perfectly flat, and a little dab of silicone-heat-grease is
necessary. This was a friend's (Aron's) idea, a great one at that in
my opinion. It keeps those flaming IC's running ice cold ; ) although
I have moved away from them. I use a discrete MOSFET driver for
driving big MOSFET's...but this isn't a MOSFET driving thread.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com