Re: Twin Tesla coils

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Okay, I think that I will just build it to be modular so I can at first try
it in in series, then move on to parallel operation if that dosen't work.
(Or to experement whether or not there's a difference) One final question:
What did you do with the ground? I read on Stefan's mini twin system
<http://www.stefan-kluge.de/>http://www.stefan-kluge.de/ that you can
disconnect the ground of the original coil and connect it to the bottom of
the second coil. However, he had a primary on only one of the secondarys,
so this might change things. This would be extremely adavantageous to me
since the twin will be in a classroom, with no "dedicated" ground system.
(also the fact that it wouldn't require nearly as much setup and hassle)
Any ideas on this?

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz "

Hi Scott, Robert,

Robert was mentioning "two primarys in PARALLEL": is that true? Might this
be the reason for difficult tuning? In my 8" Twin, I have the primaries in
SERIES, and never had problems for tuning. Tuning was exactly as
calculated: tap set at half the inductance of an ordinary quarterwave
single TC, for each of the 2 primaries. See my twin at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/movie1.htm (2002)
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/tc8sparks.htm (1999)

Current sparklength is set to 2m at ~3kVA, limited by the size of my
basement lab (distance to walls only 0.4m).

Kurt

-Chris