Re: MOSFET Coil- Ready..Set...

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

First, I would like to thank everyone who replied with links and
suggestions. I checked out the Maxim site, and the MAX parts are a little
pricy compared to other ICs, but I was allowed to order them in small
quantities. The 74HC14 (which is the correct # - Thanks Steve) was found at
futurelec-dot-com at dirt cheap prices. By the way most of their semi's are
cheaper than other places.

The circuit is Justin's design, and it is at
http://dave.golfbuddys-dot-com/hvguy/new/FBSSTC/sense_driver.GIF
I suppose that it is possible that driver transistors might be used somehow
in place of the high current inverting and non inverting driver ICs. A
friend suggested that I use driver transistors with a center tapped primary
on the driver transformer, use an inverting buffer to drive one transistor,
and use two inverters in series to drive the other one. I would be afraid
that this would introduce delay which would somehow mess things up. B892s
are commonly used to drive P460s.

I was also wondering why a feedback winding (coupled to the Tesla coil
primary) couldn't be used in place of the pick up antenna input where the
'human touch' is required to start the coil working? Somehow I don't feel
really comfortable with high impedance inputs on sensitive devices with all
that high energy noise floating around. If someone else touches the antenna
while I am playing with the arc, there is the possibility of MOSFET guts
flying all over the place, along with toasted driver components. I am also
guessing that the better coupling of a feedback winding might produce a more
reliable startup, and keep the coil going until you kill the power.

Sue