Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 12:33 05/04/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Steve,
>Are you ready to accept the challenge and build one
>*true* 6th-order OLTC  system?
>If yes,than you should agree to increase your power
>supply capability to at least 800-900 W.
>I'm quite sure ,there are capable people on this list
>
>that would like to help you in this new TC adventure.

I'm certainly prepared to design one. I've studied Antonio de Queiroz's
magnifier design page and it seems as if it might give advantages over the
2-coil OLTC. If I understood correctly, with a 1:2:n system the energy is
only in the primary circuit for 1 cycle, which would give better
efficiency/power handling than my current OLTC that takes 3 cycles. Of
course, fast quenching is no problem with IGBTs. The kickback problem still
needs work but I suspect a bit of PSpice simulation might help.

However, I can't be sure whether I would have the time/money/amount of 2000
amp IGBT bricks required to actually build my creation.

Steve C.