Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 18:33 04/04/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>In general, the faster we can convert the low voltage high current primary
>energy into higher voltages and low currents somewhere (anywhere) else,
>the lower the losses will be.  In a magnifier, the second stage may be
>useful. to store energy longer with lower loss while the final primary can
>convert that energy into sparks.
>
>There is a problem with getting even higher coupling than we have now.  We
>just don't have enough turns to get in the say 0.7 coupling area.  But we
>may be able to hit one of Antonio's "sweet spots".  This may also help the
>recharging problem you mention.

It should be possible to get nearly 1.0 coupling between coils one and two
of an OLTC maggy. It could be done by making it out of RF coaxial cable,
where the core is the secondary and the screen is the primary. You put say
100 turns of this on a former, and cut the screen at every turn. Then you
parallel all the cut ends of the screens. So you have 100 single turn
primaries in parallel, each tightly coupled to one turn of the secondary.
This also lends itself to my method of current sharing by using one primary
for each IGBT. Of course, the concept is nicked from the fractional turn
klystron modulator design that Greg Leyh published.

Flashovers might be an issue, but with suitable coax the insulation can
stand up to 40kV. Tuning would have to be done by adjusting the capacitance.

Steve C.