Re: High midnight at the Texas corral

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bert.tx-at-prodigy-dot-net>

 > I say Antonio's premise of a magnifier's out performance of a conventional
 > coil has already been successfully demonstrated in a spark producing coil.
 >
 > We have a magnifier which has produced 15 foot sparks, photographed and
 > measured.  The tank capacitor is a small Maxwell 0.015 ufd cap.  That's not
 > a typo - that is 0.015 ufd.  The transformer is a dinky 1.5 kva unit, which
 > admittedly was pushed hard - it actually got warm to the touch.   The
 > rotary disk is maybe 6 inches in diameter.  The resonator coil is 24 inches
 > long.

It would be interesting to see the specifications of the system, so
we can better evaluate the reasons for the exceptional performance.
Apparently, you have a "conventional" magnifier, that is little
more than a Tesla coil with the secondary coil split in two. The
waveforms are practically the same of a two coils system, although
it may be possible to achieve higher than usual coupling even in
this way. The relatively small primary capacitor means that the
break rate is very high, and this may be what is making the difference.

By the way, what would be the optimal value for the primary capacitor
for a Tesla coil, given the characteristics of the charging transformer?
It seems that a small capacitor, resulting in high break rate, may
be better than a large capacitor, that would result in more "bang"
energy and greater output voltage, but lower break rate.
Again, the unsolved question of what is the role of the output
voltage in the streamer length question appears.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz