Re: High midnight at the Texas corral

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Bill,

 > I say Antonio's premise of a magnifier's out
 > performance of a conventional
 > coil has already been successfully demonstrated in a
 > spark producing coil.
 >
 > We have a magnifier which has produced 15 foot
 > sparks, photographed and
 > measured.  The tank capacitor is a small Maxwell
 > 0.015 ufd cap.  That's not
 > a typo - that is 0.015 ufd.  The transformer is a
 > dinky 1.5 kva unit, which
 > admittedly was pushed hard - it actually got warm to
 > the touch.
---
No doubt this 3-coil system is one heck of performer.
However..
Pigs can ,if operated on adequte cap bank ,to draw
MULTYrated power levels from network.(BTW,do you use
high BPS rotary (n=?) in this system?)

See recent posts on TCML and the thread of measuring
input power.We questioned that ,in certain
circumstances even for NSTs,and you had pig that was
warm to touch (hey!).
So,my guess would be P>5 kw.
Speaking of 2-coil system that can wrestle with your ,
Bill Wysock's Super coil is claimed to produce 17'
long point to point discharges with 7.5 kVA input.I
guess it is MEASURED input since Bill is well known to
use control consoles on most of his systems.

And ,not to forget to express my standpoint on this
matter (put aside things I said above) :I do think
that 3-coil system can outperform 2-coil one.Not by
much,but still outperform.
----
  Most of you conventional coil builders probably have
 > a 0.015 ufd
 > capacitor.  You get excited when, after much hard
 > work, and fine-tuning,
 > and tweaking, and getting the toroid JUST so,  you
 > finally get your coil's
 > sparks to stretch out to reach maybe 6 feet or so
 > and then WHAM! you kill
 > your garage door opener.  Then, if you want bigger
 > sparks, you go to a
 > bigger transformer which means you're going to need
 > to buy or build a
 > bigger cap.
 >
 > I challenge the coilers on this list-serve to take
 > your 0.015 ufd caps and
 > build a conventional coil that doubles or triples
 > your 6 foot spark length
 > and in so doing, shames me such that I have to tuck
 > my magnifier building
 > tail between my legs and slink away, vanquished,
 > into the darkness . . . .
 > but I really, really doubt that I'll have much call
 > to do any slinking.
 >

 > Any Armchair coil-jockies who've never even built a
 > coil, the ones who can
 > only bandy about "simulation this" and "simulation
 > that" can keep quiet - I
 > want the *real* conventional coil builders who have
 > varnish under their
 > fingernails to step up and build a 0.015 ufd coil
 > and show me those
 > conventional *equivalent* 15 foot sparks I keep
 > reading about but have
 > never seen.
---
Again ,it's not a word about cap size but power and
efficiency.
IMHO,If one uses optimum magnifier configuration (ala
ACMQ) and high coupling,than with physicaly small
third coil equiped with optimum toroid can achive not
just just better efficiency but somewhat higher output
voltage with same bang size without usual racx sparks
and flashower disasters.
Geometry of small resonator with a suitable toroid,all
placed highly above ground plane ,capacitively
decouples that thing ,and changes surrounding E-field
configuration.
Finally,the waveforms of 3-coil and 2-coil system
aren't completely the same and can make some
difference for spark propagation (althought not a much
IMO).
TBD things.
...Lot of 2-coil systems outthere,a few  3-coil
systems...
But,there are many of combinations for 3 coil systems
that work and some seem better than others.
Obviously,you guessed one of these,better
combinations,
and outperformed ordinary 2-coil system.
Can you give TCML detailed specification of your
beast?

best regards,
Boris

_