Re: primary INSIDE of secondary?

Original poster: "William Carson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hidetanner-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

About 10 yrs ago, I saw a LARGE coil at the LA County fair.  It was if I
remember right, over 15 ft tall and about 3 ft dia. (secondary).  I asked
the operator where the primary was.  He said  that it was inside the
secondary.

      Thanks

           Paul

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz "

 >Would a tesla coil work, if you made it to where the

 >primary was vertical (forgot the name of it

helical?

 >) and it fit inside the primary?

Sure.
'Would it work BETTER?'
may be an interesting question

 >Has this been done?

Not by me.

 >If so, what kind of results do you get?

I'd expect constructional difficulties, possible
arc overs (as primary would be physically higher),
difficulties in tapping (or changing the tapping)
for tuning. Since the primary is INSIDE, it would
be smaller diameter, so, for same inductance,
longer, hence more arc over...

--
best
dwp