Re: VTTC help

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: VTTC help
>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:58:27 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Well, this isnt my schematic.  And this is where you are a better man than
>i.  Im very bad at tube circuits, and this is kinda why i started this
>post.
>   I cant find any info on all of those small details of B+ or B- or how
>the
>tube oscillates, and every other detail that you could imagine!

>About the specific question: where is the B+/-?  sorry im even to ignorant
>to answer this question!  All i can say is that wired according to the
>link's diagram, it works with some 3" sparks.
>
>If anyonw can reccomend a good read about tube circuits, id appreciate it.
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Ward.

Well i decided to read about basic tube operation for about an hour, and im
feeling a lot less ignorant.  I finally understand the basics.  I never
understood the grid, but it finally clicked, VALVE!!  Duhhh!  So i feel like
im one step closer to understanding the basic hartley oscillator.  I have
one question on my mind right now.  I have a second 811A thats matched.  I
also have a 12.6v transformer, as of now i only use 6.3v (1/2 of the coil).
Soooo, with the way that this tube is configured, can i run the filaments in
series??  Im unsure since the cathode is tied to the filament, will this be
a problem??  OR should i wind a new filament transformer onto the MOT for
6.3v at more than enough amps??  Is it possible for a heater to draw more
than needed, or will the filament draw more than the rated 4A if say 10A
were available?  I really dont see a point in not using both of my tubes, i
would really enjoy a 10" or so spark from this coil.

About the primary inductor:  does the entire inductor drive the secondary,
or is part of the inductor there to turn the tube off when it picks up the
field from the other part of the coil that IS driving the secondary.  I know
that this is how a single transistor flyback works, with its feedback
winding that basically cuts the power from the transistor.

Another question, how could i make this circuit to operate with the plate at
the hot end of the MOT?  I heard that it would be easier?  But would it make
the output lethal since the base of the secondary is tied to the plate?
Really, why do i need rectified AC?  Why cant the tube just rectify?  and if
so how do i do this, and furthermore, how can i keep the output relatively
safe to touch?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and sorry if i dont make sence with
certian things, im learning.  Thanks again guys.

Steve Ward.

_