Re: Capacitive Magnifier?

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> Antonio,All,
>
> "Transformerless TC" ,"Transformerless mag" and
> other
> voltage rise schemes without magnetic flux (or small
> ones) are discovered by Tesla himself.
> Check CSN,I think somewhere in commentary background
> in the end of CSN, Paper showing 4 various
> modification of transmitter (2 of them are of
> transformeless type).
I beleive you may be refering to  CSN notes on Sept
19th, showing 6 different magnifier schemes. However
you might have this backwards, since the first 4
schemes are what "might" be called transformerless,
although that is a bad word for it. The first 4
schemes show the typical magnifier configuration where
there is a line connection between the top of the
secondary and the bottom of the extra coil. The last
two schemes, (figures 5 and 6) show no such
connection, and what would seem to be independent
grounding for each coil. The reason for stating that
transformerless is a "bad" description for all of
these schemes is the fact that undoubtably Tesla's
extra coil would have been situated "inside" the very
large secondary he employed, thus even if the coils
have direct line connections, there will still be
inductive influences between the systems. I have not
yet made the purchase of R Hull's CSN commentary which
might throw further light on the matter. Of great
interest on these purely inductive schemes is Tesla's
cryptic comment: In figures 5 and 6 it is found best
to make extra coil 3/4 wavelength and the secondary
1/4 wavelength FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

No further remarks on why this is obvious seem to be
present in the cursory reading of CSN that I have
made.
I find the commentaries by Aleksandar Marincic in the
back of CSN to be quite valuable as a companion to
Tesla's CSN. His credentials appear in the beginning
of the volume as Asssociate Professor of Electrical
Engineering, Beograd University, and also scientific
advisor to the Nikola Tesla Museum. Here his 1978
commentary notes;

"Configurations such as those shown in figs 5 and 6 of
Sept 19th can be considered as typical Tesla
oscillators with a loosely coupled third circuit
consisting of the extra coil and capacitive load.
Then the greatest voltage at the free terminal of the
extra coil is obtained when the natural resonant
frequency of this circuit (together with the ball
antenna) is the same as that of the strongest
componenet in the spectrum of the oscillator."

Other Marincic commentaries  from other dates also
imply that Tesla was aware that coils do not
specifically resonate at the quarter wave length, and
that the value of top load capacity does change the
resonant frequency of the oscillators involved. This
however seems somewhat vague in that only references
to using less length of wire for the same resonant
frequency when top loads are added is implied. Hope I
dont have that description backwards, but I will look
into it. Aha, yes, this is found in the July 8th
commentary.

 Marincic also notes the interesting fact of "extra
coil" research seems to be that Tesla had actually
experimented with this "true" transformerless approach
in his New York Lab, before the time of Colorado
Springs Notes. It is indeed unfortunate that little of
the later goings on at Wardenclyffe seem to be
available as actual research material. Undoubtably
this would have been very much of an extension to the
work at Colorado Springs. Biographies also note that
Wardenclyffe had an active oscillator employed in
various tests.

Sincerely HDN

=====
Tesla Research Group; Pioneering the Applications of Interphasal Resonances
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/