Re: panasonic mmc rating?

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

Hi Larry,

> the question:
> to calc rms output: 6500v x 1.41 = rms output?
> I'd like to overrate the mmc so I would get 6500 x 2 for the target
rating.

The 6500 volts stated by your NST is RMS (Root Mean Square - a kind of
average value, but not exactly just mean).  The peal value is what you're
looking for, which is sqrt(2)*6500, about 9200 V.  The MMC should be rated a
bit over this for safety/longevity, and people often just use 2*Vrms for the
voltage handling of the cap, or 13,000 V.  So, you'd be ok with the 9 1600V
caps in series.

> also planning on making the mmc into a cube of sorts due to size
> constraints.  if cooling becomes an issue, I will place a small fan on one
> end of the cube.  the mmc cube will be like this: imagine two strings of
> caps folded length-wise 2 times.  2 wide by 3 high. about a 3" cube.

Only problem that I can see is the edges opposite the "folds" will be at
relatively high potentials wrt to each other, so you might want to be
careful of spacing.  Cooling shouldn't be necesary, as long as those caps
are foil end, poly caps, especially at that power level.  I don't know
anything about those, but if they're on the good MMC list, then you should
be fine.

Sean