Re: Safety techniques: Open to your correction

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> Some more thoughts on coiling safety
>
> 1) Dan MacCauley mentioned his intention to encase his PDT in Plexiglas.
> This is fine idea, but I rarely have an audience. I always place the PDT
> well away from the control area which I think most coilers do, judging
from
> pictures. If connection change on the PDT is necessary, all breakers and
> interlocks are switched to the off position and a "crowbar" dead short
> placed across the PDT LV windings. Same with MOT supplies. I admit to
being
> bit less fearful of a single 15/30 NST, for example--probably not a good
> thing.

Well, this is your FIRST big mistake.  You should never operate any high
voltage equipment unless there is
at least another person present.  And it is important for this other person
to know at least basic rescue skills
for dealing with high voltage.  i.e.  (do not touch the victim until all
powered is turned off etc...)  Better yet, the
other person should at least know CPR.

In summary (and in my opinion) if you operate a coil alone, YOU ARE AN
IDIOT!

 The Captain