Re: Capacitive Magnifier?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> Using a capacitive transformer might not a Magnifier be configured thus:

  o--+--L1--+--C2--+--L3--+
     o      |      |      |
PSU gap     C1     L2     C3
     o      |      |      |
  o--+------+------+------+

> note that positions L1 and C1 can be interchanged.

Yes. This circuit can be designed to work as a magnifier. I added the
power supply and the gap to the drawing.
C2 would probably be too big to be distributed in a practical circuit.

It is also possible to have:

  o--+--L1--+--L2--+--C3--+-----+
     o      |      |      |     |
PSU gap     C1     C2     L3    C4
     o      |      |      |     |
  o--+------+------+------+-----+

In this case with C3 and C4 distributed (influence ring and
coil/terminal). C4 must exist in a practical circuit.
It is even possible:

  o--+--L1--+--C2--+--C3--+-----+
     o      |      |      |     |
PSU gap     C1     L2     L3    C4
     o      |      |      |     |
  o--+------+------+------+-----+

In this case with a lumped C2 too. A capacitor across L2 may be
added too to account for its self-capacitance.

> also that with bottom rail grounded low frequency AC or DC from the power
> supply is effectively removed by high-pass filter C2-L2 and does not
appear at
> the output.

Yes, but make it sure that the connections are solid.

I am working on a program that can design these circuits, and other
variations. The calculations are complicated, but systematic. Looks as
LC filter design.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz