RE: Where to get 4kv 20ma NST?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

> 1.  You must use a Franceformer 4020SE Open Frame transformer (4kV/20mA
> rated with 115VAC input and with
>     shunts installed)

The 115VAC input I can arrange (why on earth should Vmains make any
difference??). What's wrong with a 230V transformer running off 230V?
A transformer with a 115V primary and a Franceformer I cannot. I
guess I'm barred even from entering the starting gates.

The Vmains makes a huge difference.  For example, someone uses a 115VAC,
4kV, 20mA transformer.  If someone used
a variac which can output up to 180VAC, then you then have possibly now a
6kV, 30mA transformer.  Although this will
ultimately kill the transformer, it is possible to work under short periods.

I'm not trying to barr anyone from entering any type of "contest."  The
event was mainly for a few individuals which attend a private tesla event
each year, but now its seems to be expanding out worldwide.  The whole goal
of the competition was to be a competition in efficiency and build design.
By using the same model transformer and same exact input requirements, this
contest would be somewhat fair and accurate.  Now by introducing all these
other types of transformers etc... there is too much variability.

Dan