Re: Where to get 4kv 20ma NST?

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Well now, this sounds like a fun little competetion!  I've given up on
claiming the GMHEICSLR cup.  11" is the best I can manage before my coil
self-destructs (inter-turn shorts in the primary).

   I'll try to dig up a 4/30 (I may have one already, IIRR, may be 6/30).

     To keep it all sane, we should get a list of people willing to be
involved, choose somebody to organize and judge the results (preferably
somebody not participating), and set the rules.

   So far, we've limited the supply to 80w input power.  Wow :)  Next, I
suppose we should set the rules on types of coils allowed.  Is this a
demonstration for disruptive coils only, or can we get enough competition
to merit SGTC's, SSTC's, and VTTC's in there?  Coils this small will be
cheap to make (caps and the transformers will be the most expensive
parts).   In the interests of innovation, I'd rather set a limit on the
total input power to be 80w, as measured at the wallplug.  That should not
include cooling fans for the spark gaps, etc.  Just the power going to the
transformer.

   Maybe if there's enough interested people, we could organize a bulk-buy
of 4/20's?  Perhaps get a better price, and level the playing field by
everybody using the same tranny.  Then it comes down to builder's skill and
efficiency of the rest of the coil.

   And we'd have to pry Terry away from his OLTC to make us a trophy ;)  He
did such a good job on the GMHEICSLR trophy (which still eludes me!)

Sounds like a blast to me :))

Shad
G5-1203

At 12:09 AM 9/23/02, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
>Hi Dan,
>
>On 22 Sep 2002, at 20:46, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
> >
> > > Well, seeing that my 1200v 42ls are not going so well with the larger
> > coils,
> > > i think that i will join in the competition for the mini coil amoung Gary
> > > and Dan.  My weak capacitors should work just fine for this power
> level of
> > > about 160 watts. I plan on 1 string of 10, .15uf 1200v caps for a nice
> > > .015uf 12000v cap.  Nicely overrated ;).
> > >
> > > So where do you get the 4000v 20ma France NST??  Can you order them from
> > > somewhere??  Also, do you guys think that .015uf is too big for the 4000v
> > > 38ma supply??  Thats about as small as i want to go, but will go lower if
> > > needed.
> >
> > You can check the Franceformer website for local distributors.  These are
> > extremely common and everyone probably has them in stock in your area.
> > They retail for about $25.00 depending on your locale.
> >
> > Actually, the 0.015uF is probably a bit small.  The calculated value for a
> > 4kV, 38mA transformer is about 0.0252uF.  Right now I am running only about
> > a 0.0112uF, but will soon update to a 0.0252uF as well as try a larger
> > toroid as well.
>
>Can I suggest that a VA rating is a more appropriate platform off
>which to launch a competition? Franceformers aren't very plentiful in
>my part of the world.
>
>Regards,
>malcolm

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"