Re: Designing BIG Secondary Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com>

>I was thinking about a ~12" x 24", wound with
something like #20 wire. The hope is fitting max perf in my vertically
challenged basement (7'); though what is the point? <

I built a coil with a 12" dia by 21" long coil length of #20. (Someone gave me
a piece of PVC 12" dia by 23" long.) The inductance was around 140mH. Maximum
spark around 55" with 3 NST. Main problem was arcs bending down and hitting the
stike rail around my primary. With some fiddling with toroids, you may get it
to direct up/out rather than straight out/down. I was able to do this from time
to time. Since I have room in my garage, I replaced it with a 6" x 31"
secondary.
Jim