Re: Is it possible for only one side of a NST to work?

Not only is it possible, it's rather common :)

When an NST fails on BOTH terminals the problem is almost always in the
Primary coil (this is often accompanied by smoke and tripped breakers).
When one side of the HV dies it's because an NST isn't a simple transformer,
it's Center Tapped, and one of the sides is open or shorting to ground or
what not. Most likely cause is a Carbon Track of burned tar from a secondary
winding to the inside of the case shorting out the output.

If you melt the tar inside and slosh it a bit before cooling it's usually
enough to fix it :)

In a center-tapped transformer what you have is actually 3 seperate
windings, not 2.

Winding-1 Primary
Winding 2 Left side Secondary
Winding 3 Right Side Secondary

They all go on the same core.

Both sides of the Primary winding exit the case and are the low voltage
terminals you connect power to. But only ONE SIDE of each HV winding exits
the case, the other side is connected to the core. The reason for this is
that....

1. it makes a safer transformer (you're less liikely to get bit because the
case is grounded at all times and can't float to HV).

2. It makes it a lot cheaper to build (the real reason they do this).
Because each side of the transformer sees only HALF the voltage, this means
they can use less tar, smaller insulators, etc.

An NST isn't actually a 12 or 15kV transformer! In a 12kV NST what you
actually have are 2 seperate 6kV transformers working in perfect time, 180
degrees out of phase, so when you connect across the dual secondary leads,
you're getting 12kV total. Because when the left is at 6kV positive, the
right is at 6Kv Negative.

It's a great way to cheat and get more power for less component cost. It's
also why one side can die and the other work fine.

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Is it possible for only one side of the nst to work? I have 2 15/30 NST's,
>and
>at first, one of them stopped to work on one side. Then, a day later, the
>other
>one did the same thing. but, on one side, everything is peachy! what is
>going
>on here...
>Thanks
>Adam

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson