Re: getting high voltage from the high voltage lines? (fwd)

I think that really high power transmitters do actually get supplied at
primary or distribution voltages (i.e. 14 kV+), but there's still a
transformer between utility and load.  I'll check with the Deep Space
Network guys at work.. they have multiple 400 kW transmitters, etc..  The
losses in 480V switchgear and wiring would be fairly high..

Mining operations do a lot at 2400V, from what I understand.  Again, these
are multi MVA kinds of operations.  BIG Electric furnaces (like those used
for melting steel) probably also work at distribution voltages.

Finally, Bill Wysock (who's on the list on occasion) looked into building a
"really big coil" run off primary voltages somewhere near the CA/NV border,
as I recall...