Re: Will this particular Arc Welder work as a ballast????

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hello,

I've noticed that lots of guys are concerned about what which welder would
make a good ballast, and for what price.  I personally would recommend going
to an equipment auction  ( they're everywhere, even in unpopulated areas
like mine), and look for welders.  The one's that they do sell are good,
high amp production machines, usually up to 400 plus amps, and sometimes
they go by the pair as opposed to individually.  Prices, by the way, are
generally very reasonable.

Concerning duty-cycle:  I'm not sure how this applies to ballast
applications, but as one who welds daily, I have never had difficulties with
current loss in a lower duty-cycle mid-sized welder, unless I was pushing it
at max amperage with oversize rod or Arc-Airing,  and even then I would have
to be flinging and replacing rod as fast as I was burning it.  For those in
the market for welders, though, some have aluminum primaries, and they have
been known to act up.  Don't know if that would matter in this app., though.

John Richardson