Re: Space Winding Thought/Question

Hi Gregg,

On 18 Sep 2002, at 7:11, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregg Adams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<network-at-nexband-dot-com>

> Just a crazy thought but here goes...........
>
> Has anyone thought about winding a secondary with two spools of wire?  What I
> mean is, winding it like space winding except using a second wire instead of
> nylon line.  This would mean you would have two wires at the top and at the
> bottom of the secondary.  I have no idea what the benefit would be but just
> thought I'd ask.  Also...........

I suspect the benefits may not be as great as having double the
effective wire x-sectional area would suggest since proximity effect
would be working against you (as it does with any closewind. I could
have done that with my 10" coil (the one which I described my space-
winding technique for) but in the end, I didn't, and I wasn't
disappointed with the result.

> Has anyone thought about winding a secondary and then going over that with
> another layer of wire (not space winding it) ?

I'm sure it's been done. I think it would just cost more and be
heavier. Someone who's done it and seen before and after results may
disagree with that opinion though.

Regards,
Malcolm