RE: terry's nst filter:power res overheating?

Hi Dan,

Of course, there are 'power' resistors like those weenie 5W surface mount
types :-D  But I am talking "POWER RESISTORS" :-)))  The kind you can heat
your house with.  350C continuous with a 10XW 5sec overload rating.  They
are far larger than they really need to be since, as you state, if they
were not terribly over speced they would incinerate everything around them.
 Originally, I used smaller ones but people whined about how hot they got.
So I speced the big ones so they "only" get to a 150F ;-))  They should be
mounted off the board preferably screwed to standoffs.  Keep them away from
poly caps!

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/protection.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/270_series.pdf

BTW - I have seen these used to heat equipment racks.  They ran them to a
dull red 24/7/365.  The racks were 20 years old and the resistors were
original.  They used the resitors because they were far more reliable than
a typical "heater".

Cheers,

	Terry