Re: Toroid construction

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/18/02 6:36:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Ed,
>
>     I don't stretch the ducting out all the way first.  I leave it alone
> (compact form), then bend it around whatever is going to be the center.
> It stretches itself according to the size of the form, and the result is
> very even.  This way it's also more ridged, and resists dents better
> than fully stretched ducting.
>
>     I don't use (not yet anyway) forms for my toroids.  I find it easier
> just to bend them into a circle on a flat surface (concrete driveway).
> I then put cinderblocks in four places around toroid, which keeps its
> shape while I wrestle the ends together and attach them with 5 min
> epoxy.  Sometimes the cinderblocks scuff the toroid up a bit, but it
> makes no difference if it's going to be covered with Al tape.  I usually
> sand the ends a bit to help the epoxy stick, too.
>
> Good Luck,
> Winston K.

Winston,

Thanks for the info.  That brings up another question - do most folks cover the
semi-rigid aluminum with aluminum tape to make it smooth - or just leave it as
it?

Thanks, Ed Sonderman