Re: First light with new MMC PLEASE HELP!!

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Ted,

> Hi Greg
>
> Can you advise:
> a) what thickness of wire your using in Sec

The wire is 1mm thick (18 gauge), polyesteramide coated, 12kV rating
magnet wire.

> b) No turns

About 950 or so.

> c) Sec dia

305 mm

> d) Sec form material

PVC - non recycled, completely dried before use, coated in
polyurethane  before and after winding.

> That red hot winding must mean one Heck (beat you Terry) of a lot of
> secondary current.

Hehehe, I hold the record for something :) I think what was going on
was some slight overcoupling, not enough to cause racing arcs, but
enough to make the current peak slightly above the base of the coil. I
was getting racing arcs at the start, but I raised the secondary 2" and
this solved the problem. Perhaps the damage to the lower turns was
alreay done but I didn't see it before it got serious??

Cheers

Greg.