Re: Does my transformer have PCB oil????????

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

Well, it's definitely not pure mineral oil! Older transformers often
used various chlorinated hydrocarbons or blends of chlorinated solvents
and PCB's. The fact that the fluid floats on water is a good (but NOT
conclusive) sign, since most PCB blends used in transformers had a
specific gravity in the range of 1.49 - 1.55.

For peace of mind, you may want to buy an inexpensive PCB testing kit
like those used by utilities and HazMat teams to rapidly identify the
presence of PCB's in oil. Although you COULD call your local HazMat Team
or state EPA for assistance, you'll probably wish to test your
transformer's oil a bit more discretely. It's a real bummer to have your
car's trunk declared a mobile Superfund Site... :^)

PCB detection kits typically cover PCB contamination in the range of 20
- 500 ppm, and only require 5-10 minutes to perform on-site. Dexsil's
Clor-n-Oil kits appear to be quite accurate and inexpensive:
http://www.dexsil-dot-com/pdf/DTR_0501.pdf

To buy Dexsil's 50 PPM kit, order from Forestry Suppliers, Inc. in the
link below - they're one of the few sources to carry single kits
($11.95/kit).
http://www.forestry-suppliers-dot-com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?ID=3342

Good luck and best regards,

-- Bert --