Re: El Supremo

Hi Ken,

It looks great!  I can't see any problems with it.  I do have one
suggestion.  Instead of using IRG4PF50W IGBTs, you could use IRG4PF50WD
IGBTS that have the reveres diode built in.

IRG4PF50W	$6.12  + HER305 ($0.58) = $6.70
IRG4PF50WD	$7.11

DigiKey has them but maybe you have a cheaper source for the others or
already have a bunch.  Just got to www.digikey-dot-com and type in "IRG4PF50W"
and links to both popup.  BTW - Ignore the current ratings and such in
DigiKey's descriptions since there are errors.  Go off the data sheets.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/irg4pf50w.pdf
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/irg4pf50wd.pdf

If your voltages will be below 600V, maybe you could use the mighty
IRG4PC50FD.  Only $8.74 but 70A and 280A Peak!  They also have lower Vce
for greater efficiency too.  BTW - I notice the prices on IGBTs are
steadily dropping (copper on silicon is starting to get "old" so they can't
charge as much for it) :-)))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/irg4pc50fd.pdf

The back of the IGBTs is a direct collector connection so you could bolt
them direct to the collector plate with no silpad, just grease(best), or
one of those foil conductive pads (very good heat transfer).  Keeping the
IGBTs as cool as possible really helps.

Cheers,

	Terry

At 11:31 AM 9/14/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I have proposed a new solid-state Primary apparatus, "El Supremo", based
>on my previously-described Entertainment Machine and strongly influenced
>by Terry Fritz' OLTC design.  See prior postings and also the schematic
>at
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tch2.gif.  plus the accompanying driver
>schematic at
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tch2drv.gif.  I'll repeat here features I
>see as important & then refer you to two more posted drawings showing how
>I envision the apparatus to be assembled.
>
>1.  Very low impedance: just 1 equivalent turn.
>
>2.  Highest quiescent voltage to ground = peak of mains voltage.  Safe as
>a toaster (well...maybe almost).
>
>3.  Non-resonant: operating frequency is controlled electronically and is
>not a function of the associated energy-storage capacitance.
>
>4.  Current-switching is by means of IGBTs.  Each IGBT sees only a
snip.......