Re: GE 42L series caps Good - GOOD ! ! ! ! !

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

These caps kick butt.  They work excellent and should not be taken off any
"good/bad MMC" list.

I currently use both a 0.0275uF and 0.055uF MMC caps used in a 15kv/60mA,
and 15kv/180mA tesla coil system and run these things into the ground.  My
record time so far we a demonstration run at more than 2kW for more than an
hour.  These things were only a little bit warm.  I probably have over 100
hours each in run time total on each one and the only failure i ever had was
when i was initially tuning my system.  (System was completely out of tune)

Oh, these are the 0.33uF, 2000VDC 42L series.

Dan

> Hi All,
>
> Apparently GE 42L series are mataized caps instead of solid metal foil
> types.  Steve has some of these that burnt out at the end plates:
>
> GE  42L2332
> 0.33 uF 5%
> 1200 VDC
> 500 VAC
>
> He took a look and some larger ones and they seemed to be metalized too!
>
> Should this series of caps be teken off the good caps list?  I always
> thought they were foil :-(  Steve ran his really hard with just one string
> (  MMCcalc say they should have worked fine...
>
> MMC Calculator  Ver. 2.2   9/12/2000  Terry Fritz
> Transformer voltage =  12000
> Transformer current =  .06
> Firing voltage =  16970.52
> Fo =  150000
> Break rate =  200
> Thermal dissipation constant =  33
> Individual cap value =  3.3E-07
>
> Strings  Caps/Str  Capacitance  Voltage   Temp C    Cost              I
Arms
>   1       20         16.50        24000     1.72   20.00  :-))  :-))  3.44
>

> Cheers,
>
> Terry
>
> >I just finished up a medium coil powered by a 12/60 and a static gap.  My
> >MMC is 20 in series of 1200v .33uf caps for .0165uf -at- 24kv.  Well the
coils
> >performance was poor to say the least with only 2 foot arcs.  So i tried
and
> >tried with no luck.  So just out of curiosity, i felt the caps after i
> >turned it off.  They were hot!  well 2 of them were.  I let them cool off
,
> >then ran it again.  Checked for heating, it was still in those 2 caps.
One