RE: Greg's MOT New Stack (artwork, ballast explanation, etc.)

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 10:21 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Greg's MOT New Stack (artwork, ballast explanation, etc.)

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Is anybody ballasting their MOT supplies? I'm not

Yes. I am.

Yes Greg, I do now recall your capacitive ballast

> sure I understand the
> necessity of the huge capacitances. Problems with

Because I'm running four (4) MOTs capable of drawing
over 6kva from a single 20 Amp outlet. Without
ballasting, the breaker trips within seconds, which is
a good thing, since the light-duty power cord would
probably melt within a minute if the breaker didn't
intervene.

The HV-side ballast capacitors are not huge. They are
actually kind of small--only .97uF/2200wvac each. I
run 6, 8, or 10 of them in series with the high
voltage circuit to limit the current IAW the
capacitive reactance formula.

> power arcing? Perhaps MOT
> power is stiffer than even Pole distro xfmr power? I

Not likely. A pole transformer can run at two or three
times its rated load without breaking a sweat. A used
5kva pole pig can beat up a MOT stack with one bushing
tied behind its back.

I'm thinking about % impedance. Some guys are saying big tank capacitance
and high break-rates are necessary with MOT power. This does not seem to be
the case with Pole xfmr power and I'm wondering why.

> would think some series
> resistance on the HV side would help.

Help with what?

That is just one example of ballasting methods. Help with power arcing, or
whatever is forcing some coilers to resort to large C and breakrates.
Dave H

> Dave H
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andy C.