Re: water filled tubing primary?

Reminds me of my famous idea for a water capacitor (long story). In theory,
yes a water filled primary would work, then again, so does communism :) The
technical drawbacks and complications would be serious though. As a rule
water+HV is a bad idea, and things get really weird. *REALLY* pure water is
actually an insulator, and they discharge the Z-Machine (a collection of
connected GIGANTIC Marx banks that could accurately replicate the power of
God sneezing) into a bog pool of water (from the pics I've seen it actually
looks like it SITS in a tank of water. Though how you keep THAT much water
THAT clean I have no idea. It works something like even putting electrodes
in the water is enough to contaminate it to the point of no longer being an
insulator or something, I don't know all the details (it's facinating
though).

Using pins for teh tap would be bad because the contact point is *really*
small. If it leaked you've got HV dripping all over. It's going to be
*really* lossy (tubes of water are used for HV resistors on occasion). Etc
ad nauseum.

It would be fun to tinker with though :) On a SMALL coil that you can easily
overpower it would be fun, and a novel approach if nothing else.
Good idea...maybe not practical, but good idea. :)

Keep inventing, you could never do worse than the Boden Density Capacitor :)
so noone will ever make fun of ya for a crazy coiling idea.

>>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"

>>>Could you (in theory) use water filled (lets say, 1/4 inch) tubing for
>>>your
primary?  I was thinking that you could fill the tubing, cap it off, then
use
needles to puncture the tubing to get to the water and thats how you would
tap
it and charge it. I know this has lots of flaws in the idea, but, could it
be
done?
thanks
Adam

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson