RE: Why no corona?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

A mate of mine used to flat in a house directly below some 220kV
lines. A pylon was just over the fence. At night, you could go out
and hear the crackling and see corona streaking over the insulators.
I don't recall seeing corona around the open lines though.

I remember biking in Jim Thorpe, PA doing a night ride (mountain bike) in
the heat of summer and remember seeing
the power lines there completely lit up by corona.  The lines were just
glowing purple and crackling like a witch. (or should i say cackling??)

Dan