Re: Why no corona?

> They actually do have problems with corona I would guess.

> I know for a fact that I've heard the familier hiss on

> more than one occasion while standing under a HV line.

> Also remember that the really high voltage lines are

> rather rare.

	Depends on the numeric value of 'really high'.

> Sure, there are transmission lines that run up to 768kV

> or better.

	And lots of them.  Distribution at 14kv and down is
	one thing.  Transmission at 100KVAC and up (standards
	at 350, etc) are common.

> I've even heard of megavolt lines (anyone know where these

> are?)

	'everywhere'.
	(Ferinstance, some of the power i use to send this
	arrives from Canada, via a +/-500kvdc line.  Which
	is insulated and can, on exception, be operated as
	1 MV to ground.)

> that run across deserts.

	And the forests of NE, and elsewhere.

> But the vast majority of power lines are small, under 14.4kV.

	www.epri-dot-com
	is the trade organization of the electrical power
	industry.
	http://www.platts-dot-com/engineering/index.shtml
	is the publisher for, among others, Electrical World.
	Either of these might well have _data_.

	And, yes, LV to get the power 'to the customer' is
	the majority.  Getting it TO those lines, ALL the
	power goes thru the high lines, with minor
	exceptions.
	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...