Re: Photoflash Caps

Original poster: "JRW by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwhitmor-at-muscanet-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Jimbo,
>
> >  I need a "Very-Low ESR" capacitor that can take millions of
> > repeated pulses. The voltage is not problematic (15vdc source, but
> > rings up a bit).
> What timeframe are we talking about? What current and what load etc.
> and more importantly what application? Im sure we will be able to help
> you, but a bit of additional info would be handy!

The load is a 1mH coil and the repetition rate is 1khz The
capacitance is 100 uF. I was using a low ESR tantalum from
Panasonic, but after a couple weeks it developed significant DC
current leakage, (and they are fairly pricey). The pulses were about
5uS wide.

> >  You guys certainly seem to be the pulse cap experts. Am I
> > incorrect in thinking a photoflash rated cap. should work if
> > operated conservatively?
> Not really - electrolytics tend to have a relatively high ESR.
Well yes, but are not photoflash caps optimized for low ESR?