Re: defective caps?!?!

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:54 AM 09/09/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I now have a very sick feeling in my stomach,
>
>I may have bought about $120 worth of bad caps!  While my GE 42l series
>3000v caps have lasted for a looooong time, the 42l 1200v caps may not!
>I may send one to Terry so he can check it out.  Heres the story.
>
>I just finished up a medium coil powered by a 12/60 and a static gap.
>My MMC is 20 in series of 1200v .33uf caps for .0165uf -at- 24kv.

<big snip>

>I just upgraded to 2 strings of caps on my big coil, but never ran it yet.
 >Each string is 24 X .68uf -at- 1200v for a 0.0283uf -at- 28.8kv.  By the way,
>is a .0566uf cap too big for a 15/120 system with a blower gap?

<snip>

>I like the idea of that huge cap for some huge current handling, unless
>these are "crap caps" and they will all fail soon anyway.
>

>Steve Ward.

Hello Steve & Coilers,

Maybe I'm all wet, but it seems to me that you're asking a lot of just
one or two strings of caps in your MMC.  It's generally not the volts
that kill a cap, but rather the amps and you'll sure have plenty with
using only one or two strings.  I have six strings of 16 caps each in
my MMC and I worry about it!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+