Re: Simplest TC of all?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> Is it possible in theory to build a tesla coil in which only a single
inductor
> and the topload/ground capacitance forms the entire tuned circuit? the lower
> end of L1 being connected to the excitation source which might even be a
spark
> gap -although I understand the latter is risky!

This is possible, but the maximum terminal voltage will be the gap
firing voltage. The terminal will be charged to this voltage before
the gap breaks. The resonator will oscillate while the gap remains
conducting.
You can connect a power oscillator to the base of the resonator, and
obtain large gains with this by using the "resonant rise" that appears
when the frequency of the excitation is the resonance frequency of
the resonator.
But this is not simple at all. The obvious simplification is to replace
the power oscillator by a low-impedance LC tank circuit, coupled to
the resonator by some method. With magnetic coupling, this is just
a Tesla coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz