Re: Stacking variacs . . .?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ryanchrj-at-notes.udayton.edu>

Wiring these in parallel will produce a 115VAC 30A variac.  This is usually
accompanied by a filtering choke (Example:
http://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/parallel.html note: NOT my page).  If
you can place 3 isolated equally phased 115VAC  inputs (Example: from an
Isolation transformer) across the primaries and place the secondaries in
series, then you have effectively a 345VAC 10A Variac.  However, with the
second format, there may be safety issues that I am not aware of (though I
don't see why), as my area is physics and not enguineering.

Chris

                      "Tesla list"

                      <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com        To:       tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  Stacking variacs .
. .?
                      09/09/2002 02:55

                      PM

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Quick question on stacking variacs??

Say I had a 3-Phase stack of variacs all connected via one shaft and each
one rated at 115VAC, 10A.

Would wiring them in series yield a say 345VAC, 10A variac and wiring in
parallel yield a 115VAC, 30A
variac???

Not sure what the common practice was in stacking variacs.

Thanks
Dan