Re: How do you remove shunts from NST ? ? ? ?

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Use a hammer and a flathead screwdriver to carefully break the epoxy seals.
Then, tap out one or two of the shunts with a small hammer, and repot it. Be
careful not to overrate the transformer too much though - neons are very
easy to kill. Its possible that the shunts are actually part of the
transformer frame - in which case youre best choice is to get funky with a
hacksaw.

IMHO, of you are only looking for about 4kV, then get a pair of MOTs and run
them back to back. You can get a lot of power out of them, and provided that
you run them in oil to keep them cool, you could get 3 or 4 kW out of them
no problem. Small neons such as that arent really gonna be useful for
anything except the smallest tabletop coil.

A better idea
Best Regards,

Jason
[UK Geek #1139 Rank G-2]