RE: OLTC Update - OLTC-2

Hi All,

I ran a bunch of numbers today on the redesign.

As it turns out, I apparently do not need more top capacitance but rather
more inductance for higher Q and better streamer power transfer.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC09-05-01.gif

This agrees with the equation:

Q = 2 x pi x F x L / R

Of course, as we add L we also ad R so we need to be careful.

An 18 inch secondary about 36 inches long with a reasonable top load is
going to have a secondary capacitance of about 40pF.  Thus the secondary
inductance will have to be about 400mH.  Pretty close to what I have now.
But if I can decrease the Rsec by 1/2, then the output power will equal
that of a typical coil given the input power.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC09-05-03.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC09-05-04.gif

Using my excel sheet I find that a reasonable coil could be about 1400
turns of #24:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC09-05-05.gif

That gives 1/2 the number of turns and 63% of the DC resistance.  Of
course, I would also get rid of the high-loss SonoTube!  I really don't
know the true secondary frequency yet (other than it should be as high as
possible (even lower Lpri!)) but these numbers show I really can get some
serious power to the streamers taking care to consider the Q problems of
before.  Not to hard really once you see what's going on.  I really need to
see if I can get the frequency higher!  Even if I have to lower the primary
capacitance, I may gain power by reducing the secondary size and it's losses.

So I'll begin work on the new coil and work on getting the original one up
to 240VAC in the mean time.

Cheers,

	Terry