RE: Simple Ballast for 3kVA Pole Mount Distribution Transformer

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Terry was not using any kind of core in his ballast, it was just a plastic
spool of #12 wire, right off the Home Depot shelf.  In his demo he ran the
coil for maybe (WAG) 4 minutes, and the exterior of the spool was
distinctly warm.  No idea how warm the interior of the spool became, but
the potential for a core meltdown was there.  "I" would have been a little
nervous about that.

I think a soft iron core could have been added, and that would have
permitted fewer turns and less wire w/ better convection cooling to be
used, as well as adjustability.  But if I may speak for him, Terry is a
kind of minimalist coiler, preferring off-the-shelf solutions, and frankly,
it did work without a core.  I don't think that a properly constructed core
would result in an increase in heating.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>