Re: 15kVDC, 0.1uF Capacitors on Ebay now . . .

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Dan,

I assume you're referring to a cap like:
http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1764382761

Del Electronics makes HV power supplies. This capacitor is almost
certainly a Mylar cap, and if so, it's unsuitable as a Tesla Coil tank
cap. If it is a Mylar cap, it may be used in low pulse duty pulse work,
but it will not handle RF gracefully. Metal cased Mylar oil caps pressed
into Tesla service have been known to rapidly build up internal heat,
and some have exploded with no warning before the outside of the case
even had a chance to get warm to the touch.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>