RE: JavaTC and ETesla6 Questions

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart, Adam, Terry, All -

Please note that we are talking about two different resonant frequency tests
here. The toroid reduction problem has confused coilers for over ten years
when the JHCTES and other programs were first introduced. There are two
different tests involved, one for only the sec coil with toroid on top and
one for the complete TC as operated. These two tests are shown in the Tesla
Coil Construction Guide page 14-4.

The Guide briefly explains why these are two different resonant frequencies.
The first test will give a slightly higher resonant frequency compared to
the second test with the complete TC. In the discussion below we are doing
the calcs for the test that involves only the sec coil with toroid on top.
Terry's Etesla is for the complete coil test.

The Java program is very similar to the JHCTES program and the programs can
be used for either test. However, I have never compared the Java toroid
reduction part. The two programs agree for this coil if we use the Java 47.1
pf total sec capacitance instead of the 45.69 pf shown by the JHCTES
program. The estimated resonant frequency would be 96.18 Khz and the toroid
reduction is 11.05% instead of the 20% estimated for the JHCTES program.

Ctor = Ctot - Cself = 47.1 - 23.53 = 23.57 pf toroid on sec coil

Res freq = 1/(6.283sqrt(58.14*47.1*10^-15)) = 96.18 Khz

% reduction = (26.5 - 23.57)/26.5 = .1105 or 11.05%

Note that there is no disagreement as far as the coil self capacitance
(Medhurst) is concerned. If the coil is built exactly as designed and then
properly tested the resonant frequency of only the secondary coil with
toroid on top should be about 96 - 97 Khz.

The 115 Khz test frequency covered by ETesla would be for the complete TC
and surrounding conditions and this is a different test. According to ETesla
if the 115 is correct the toroid reduction is about 65% when the calcs are
done correctly. I have never heard of a toroid reduction this great.
However, I have used ETesla with JHCTES and there was much better agreement.
I do not understand why there is this large spread for this coil.

John Couture