NeedNSTadvice

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Needing some NST advice here
I recently acquired 2 more 12000v 30ma NST's (120ma total not yet used)
They are TRANSCO INC.
made in 1983.
Well they are much different than my 2 Alanison transformers, they have
2 simple screws to remove the lid.
of course still wondering what is inside one I opened both of them up
Here is the kicker.....
The tar insulation on both units is dried and cracked up...
so much so that I could possibly remove most of the potting by hand....
It is so dried, cracked up and broken I cant believe that it will provide
any electrical insulation vrs internal corona. I can see it moving along the
cracks already...

The advice I am looking for is
does anyone have any specific information on unpotting Transco
transformers...
Are the shunts removable?
Would it be correct procedure to freeze, remove tar, remove a few shunts,
then float in oil?
Is it worth removing shunts in a 12000v 30ma Transco?
If so how would one go about measureing the new ma current limit?....
I have a nice multi meter that I have only used to measure capacitance..

Chris