Re: An accurate resonant-transformer modeler?

Hi Ken,

At 03:39 PM 9/2/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>The present interest in Terry's OLTC, as well as ancillary mentions of
>sundry computer programs with which I am--alas--not familiar, lead me to
>ask the following of the List:
>
>Is there available an accurate computer-modeler for a resonant
>transformer, based a lot more on natural principles than on empirical
>observations, that has input-parameters such as these:
>
>1.  Characteristics of the voltage applied to the primary (instantaneous
>voltage, frequency, waveshape, duration, etc.)

I think MicroSim can do this.  It can input any waveform (even from a data
table).  The output can be analyzed with FFT and such.

>2.  Physical size, shape and material of the primary (diameter, quantity
>of turns, conductor diameter, insulation material, etc.)

No.  Have to dig through reference material to find things like inductance.
 But there are formulas for the inductance based on the dimensions.

>3.  Physical size, shape and material of the secondary (-same-)

Secondary losses are "interesting".  Not much out there.

>4.  Physical size, shape and material of the top electrode (outer
>diameter, cross-sectional diameter if a toroid, conductive material,
>smoothness, etc.)

E-Tesla6 sort of does this by finding Fo.

>5.  Physical orientation of the primary with respect to the secondary and
>of the top electrode with respect to the secondary (with a common axis
>assumed, I assume)

E-Tesla sort of does this too but only for Fo.  MandK can find coupling.

>The program's outputs would be top electrode voltage vs. time, perhaps
>spark length in air, perhaps a measure of secondary corona as a function
>of position along the secondary, and perhaps a measure of secondary
>turn:turn voltage as a function of such position.

I think what you mean is "one" program that does everything.  Programs like
JavaTC, WinTesla and John Couture's program try to do this but I am not
sure with the ease and completeness you seek.

>Is the above pie-in-the-sky, an example of hopeless naivete, or something
>in-between--or both, or neither?  Does it, perhaps, signal that I would
>like to take all the fun out of coiling?

I think they just take a lot of the drudgery and "math" out of coiling
making things easier for all.  They also give newcomers a chance to play
with the "science" behind it all easily.

>Whatever it is, perhaps someone would care to provide, for the
>edification of all, a handy listing of the several Tesla, or related,
>programs that are "out there" along with the perceived attributes and
>faults of each.

A bunch are at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/Programs.htm
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/formulas.html
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/download.html
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javammc.html
http://www.miramar.sdccd.cc.ca.us/faculty/jcouture/tesla/jhctes33.asp
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

For "simple" stuff.  The Java programs that run off a web page are pretty
nice.  If they won't find your answer, then the more "higher powered"
problem specific programs are needed.  When the going really gets tough.
Paul's TSSP programs often will find your answer.

Are these programs enough.  Nope!  My OLTC project used all these programs.
 But apparently there are still some unknowns in primary and secondary
losses that are providing me with much entertainment now ;-))  However, for
a basic conventional coil, they should pretty much cover everything needed.

Cheers,

	Terry