Re: Styrofoam top loads

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/2/02 2:52:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> When I was a child I remember my mother gold leafing picture frames and the
> like.  The leaf was extremely thin, and one had to electrostatically charge
> a small brush, pick up the leaf, and apply it to the surface already tacky
> with special glue.  It was time consuming, but I remember that the results
> always turned out smooth.  I'd take a trip to a craft shop for foam
> doughnuts, and then stop off at a picture framing shop to find out if it
> could be done.  I'm sure that there are metallic options out there other
> than gold, and the supplies should be cheap enough!?
>
> John Richardson

Hi John,
       Most of the wreath-making foam toroids are large diameter but small
cross-section. When I looked for one last year, I could get major diameter up
to 36 in., but none had a cross-section diameter over 2.5 in. The reason for
laminating your own blocks is that for some reason, at least around here, the
cost of 36 x 36 sheets goes up as a power of the thickne$$. In my experience
with non-TC applications, metallic leaf tends to develop pit holes from
vaporization at high powers.

Matt D.