Re: unknown prob

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Scott D:

If you blew your xmfr because you were running the xmfr and cap without the
TC load, your Q factor was extremely high thus increasing the potential
across the xmfr until it blew.

If you ever hook a cap up to a xmfr you need a reasonable load such as an
inductor or resistor in the circuit to prevent the Q factor from going too
high and creating a very high resonant potential.  You are lucky the cap
didn't blow as well.

Also, always put your spark gap across the xmfr and then the cap in series
with the primary in a TC circuit.  When the gap fires it creates a short
circuit across the xmfr and reduces the chance of parasitic oscillations
developing and feeding back into the xmfr windings.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance