Re: OLTC update - Poor seconadry Q

Hi Jimmy,

On 30 Aug 2002, at 20:54, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> how do you know the q is so bad? did you measure it or calculate it? can you
> feel the secondary heating? also weak compared to other 300 watt coils
you have
> made or seen or are you comparing it to johns formula for input power and
park
> length? the formula might not be accurate at low powers, i doubt he looked at
> alot of 300 watt coils when making the formula. my calculations said the q
> should be around 200. i used the javatc to get a guess at the resistance. i
> dont trust my calculations too much because i didnt find the equations. i
> derived the equation myself, and i make alot of mistakes.

I could see it just by looking at the oscillogram of the secondary
ringing alone. A decent secondary rings for ages. It basically stands
to reason. If you use thin wire and a long length of it in a
relatively small coil, the AC losses will be, to use the Corum's
words, incredible. Been there, done that. Obviously, the wire is far
smaller than even a single skin depth at the frequency Terry is
running and the proximity losses make it even worse.

Regards,
Malcolm